Monday, January 31, 2011

Buttoned-up Pillowcase

I had a very productive weekend! (In spite of a very bad case of cough and colds... aargh!) And I'm so excited to show you what I've been working on.


don't you just love my new pillow? I know I do!
I was most excited about this one because I love the way it turned out! I almost violated my "No-Internet-On-Weekends" rule to post about this one the moment I was done.

You see, a few weeks ago, my mom gave me this blouse and told me I can do whatever with it:
She only recently bought it but after a couple of sessions in the washing machine...
Uh-oh... the fabric tears easily... this hole was along the hem at the bottom of the blouse. I initially thought of creating an applique or a patch... but it just seemed so obvious and I know I will never be able to wear it like that. I've been playing around with the idea of chopping the entire bottom half and sew in the bottom half of a t-shirt... but in my head, I don't think it's something I will be able to wear in public :)

So this blouse ended up on my stash and stayed there for a couple of weeks until inspiration hit me last week (don't you just love it when that happens?). I was admiring some pillow projects online and I was thinking of buying fabric to make some new pillow cases for my throw pillows when that blouse popped into my head. It's a perfect match for my current color scheme of cream and gray!

Last weekend, I got to work. I have already worked out the process in my head by this time and this project was so easy... literally only took a few minutes to make.

STEP 1: I laid out the blouse (size 14... though sizes run a little smaller here in Asia) and used one of my pillow cases to see if I have enough fabric for the case I wanted to make (my pillow cases are 16" x 16"):
I did!!! Great!

STEP 2: I pinned my 'pattern' (i.e. pillow case) on the blouse and started cutting around it. I put in around 0.5 inches allowance for the seams.




STEP 3: I now had the front and back pieces of my pillow case. I turned both sides inside-out and sewed along all sides.


STEP 4: Pop open the buttons... turn right side out... insert pillow inside and... I was done!


I admit... I did not hem the edges before I sewed the seams. I thought about it... but I was too lazy and I figured I didn't mind if it frayed inside.

Hope you all had a great weekend. More projects to be posted, this week so stay tuned! :)

Since this is link-party-worthy... I joined these link parties:
CraftOManiac | Sumo's Sweet Stuff | Sew Chatty | It's So Very Cheri | The Tattered Tag | Tatertots & Jello  | Tea Rose Home | Somewhat Simple | The Girl Creative | Sew Can Do |

    7 comments:

    Maggie said...

    great idea, I would never have thought of this!

    Trisha @ The Sweet Survival said...

    The pillow is adorable with the buttons!

    Leslie from Onesie Twosie said...

    Great idea! I am a pillow junkie! Hope you're feeling better soon. :)

    Janelle said...

    Thank you ladies! I'm feeling much better and it's about time really... I've been sick for 3 weeks already! I guess people in a tropical country aren't used to this cold weather we're currently experiencing.

    Ellie said...

    I've seriously thought about doing this a bunch, but didn't know how it would turn out. I think it looks fabulous! I am definitely going to have to make one now!

    Ellie
    http://homestitched.blogspot.com

    Christina @ The Tattered Tag said...

    These are so creative!! So happy you joined last weeks K.I.S.S. blog bash, your creativity is appreciated. Please remember tomorrow is another fun blog bash, drop by & share more inspiring ideas!

    Drop by The Tattered Tag

    Happy in red said...

    That's very clever! Would also be great as the back of a cushion for a crocheted front!!
    Esther.