Friday, April 29, 2011

Satin and Tulle Flower Tutorial

Last March, I posted about these flower clips I made:

Black Satin and Red Tulle

Gold Satin Ribbon and Cream Tulle
I wasn't able to prepare a tutorial then and to pepare one, I needed to make another clip. So I did (more than a month after, sorry about that). I'm meeting some girl friends from college later tonight and 2 of them have daughters around Andrea's age.

Anyway, for this clip, you will need:
I wasn't trying to be artistic with this shot... I was just trying to find the best lighting where you can see the cream tulle in the photo ;)
  • 1.5 yards of satin ribbon
  • 2 strips of tulle, around 1/4 inch wider than the satin ribbon, 1.5 yards
  • A piece of felt , cut into a circle, 2 inches in diameter (not pictured above) 
  • Needle and thread
  • Clip
  • Glue gun
Step 1: Singe the edges of your satin ribbon to prevent fraying.

Step 2: Layer your satin ribbon and 2 strips of tulle into one strip. Position on to the felt and place a few stitches to keep it in place.

Step 3: Fold your strip of ribbon and tulle to make a pleat and secure the fold/pleat with a couple of stitches.

Step 4: Continue making folds/pleats with your strip of ribbon and tulle around the edge of the circle felt, securing each fold with a few stitches.

Step 5: After making a complete circle, continue folding/pleating the satin ribbon and tulle to make a smaller circle.






Step 6: Continue folding and pleating to make smaller circles until the free space at the center becomes too small to add another layer. Cut off any excess ribbon and tulle and singe the edge of the ribbon to prevent fraying. The fold the edge of the ribbon and tulle inward to hide it and secure with a couple of stitches.

See? from the photo, you can't see the edge of the ribbon and tulle because it is folded inward.
Step 7: Using your glue gun, glue a button or other embellishment at the center. I used pearl beads for mine.

Step 8: Before you add your clip to the back of the flower, you can cut another circle of felt to hide the stitches. Sometimes I do...sometimes I don't (when my stitches are even and pretty :). Anyway, you can glue your clip or pin at the back.

A pretty pink bow for a pretty little girl.
I did say I have 2 friends with little girls right? So I made another one... I used a wider strip of satin ribbon this time, and no tulle.
A pretty pink satin bow for another pretty little girl.
The process is the same only for the center, instead of sewing the edge of the satin ribbon inward, I twisted it into a circle and used hot glue to secure it. It became the 'nest' for the big pearl bead I glued to the center.

My other friend has a little boy, and I initially wanted to make a bow tie for him like this Li'l Mister Bow Tie from Delia Creates. I had the the perfect fabric for it too... but I didn't have the time to make one (a little busy this week and Andrea has been staying up late so no free time in the evening) so he's getting a toy instead.

I can't wait to see my friends! It's been years since our little group was complete. The last was before any of us were married I think. And now... we all have kids! And this will probably be the last in a long time since one of them is moving to Dubai in June :-/ Anyway, last post for the week for me. Hope you all have a great weekend!

I am linking up to the following link parties:
Free for All at Young and Crafty | K.I.S.S. at The Tattered Tag | Sundae Scoop at I Heart Naptime | Sunday Showcase Party at Under the Table and Dreaming | Not Baaad Sundays at Lamb Around | Just Something I Whipped Up at The Girl Creative | Making Monday Marvelous at C.R.A.F.T | Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do | Made With Love Monday at Sew Chatty | Motivate Me Monday at Keeping It Simple | A Round Tuit at Crafting My Way to Success | Inspire Me Monday at Singing Three Little Birds | Amaze Me Monday at Dittle Dattle | DIY Project Parade at The DIY Showoff | Think Pink Sundays at Flamingo Toes | Market Yourself Monday at Sumo's Sweet Stuff | Manic Monday Link Party at Sew Happy Geek | Take a Look Tuesday at Sugar Bee Crafts | Tutorial Tuesday at Hope Studios | Handmade Tuesdays at Ladybug Blessings | Tuesday To-do Party at The Blackberry Vine | Tip Me Tuesday at Tip Junkie | Tuesday Party at Running with Glitter | Get Your Craft On at Today's Creative Blog | Show Me What Ya Got at Not JUST a Housewife | Sew Cute Tuesday at Creative Itch | Show and Tell at Blue Cricket Designs | Your Whims Wednesday at My Girlish Whims | Will See It Wednesday at Fabric Bows and More | Share the Wealth Wednesday at Laugh, Love, and Craft | We Did It Wednesday at Sew Much Ado | Wicked Awesome Wednesday at Handy Man, Crafty Woman | A Marvelous Mess at Marvelously Messy | Sugar & Spice at Seven Thirty Three | Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts | Hoo's Got Talent at Night Owl Crafting | Strut Your Stuff at Somewhat Simple | Creative Juice at Momnivore's Dilemma | Get Your Brag On at Gluesticks | Thrifty Thursday at Saved By Love Creations | Wednesday Link Party at Tea Rose Home | A Crafty Soiree at Katie's Nesting Spot | Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Chic Cottage | Commercial Break Thursday at Suzy's Artsy Craftsy Sitcom | Thrilling Thursday at Paisley Passions | Catch a Glimpse at A Glimpse Inside | Feature Yourself Friday at Fingerprints on the Fridge | Friday Favorites with Inspiring Creations | Lovely Crafty Weekend at Lovely Crafty Home | Weekend Wrapup Party at Tatertots and Jello |

25 comments:

lisbonlioness said...

Thanks for making good on your promise!

Kalen @ My Crafty Condition said...

Gorgeous! I think this is now on my "to make" list!

An Oasis in the Desert said...

I'm sure your friends are going to love the flower clips for their little girls. I hope you have a great time catching up with your friends
CAS

Brandy J. said...

These are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing and leaving my totally inspired!!

Little Sprinkles Of Fun said...

I love your cute flowers! So cute!

Jill said...

How lovely! and a great tutorial too!
Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Michelle said...

excellent tutorial, they are so pretty. I can't wait to give these a try.

Kitty Deschanel said...

This is such a helpfully written tutorial! It would be so fun to make GIANT versions of these to hang on the wall :)

Unknown said...

That makes it easy! Thank you for sharing. I want to make some to add to my totes. They could use something cute like that to accent them.
I'm following you from the Sugar Bee Crafts linking party. Please follow me at:
www.daughterbydesign.blogspot.com

Christy said...

Thanks for sharing. I have never seen ribbon being used for these. I will deffinately make some. :)

www.christyscuties.blogspot.com

LrSchwtz said...

These are so pretty! Please stop by www.laughloveandcraft.com and link up to my Share the Wealth Wednesday Link Party! I'm your newest follower!

Anonymous said...

So pretty! I'm linking to my Projects in the Works page! I want to try this soon - thanks for the tutorial!

Andrea
www.addicted2tutes.blogspot.com

Barbara Pilcher said...

I came over from Handy Man Crafty Woman.

You are bound to get many compliments on these pins and on the tutorial, too. I like both versions, and can imagine them in different styles using different kinds of ribbon. I'm sure I'll be making some for myself and gifts, too.

Have fun with your friends. Thanks for sharing.

Nicole said...

Thanks for sharing these!! As the Momma of two little girls, I love coming across tutorial like this! So many fun things you can make with these flowers!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tutorial. Those are very cute, but the darker pink one is my favorite! I can see those being used so many ways as pins, hairclips, or for home decor.

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

Great tutorial, Love it!

Lauren @ Love, Water and Wine said...

I love these! I always have a clip in my hair :) I would love for you to link up to my Ten Buck Tuesday link party! It lasts all week!

colorchic said...

These are so cute and a great tutorial! Please link up at Color Chic for a chance at a giveaway!

Bree Ferguson said...

I bet your friends little girls adorded their gifts. Will be putting this on my 'to do' list! My never ending 'to do' list! lol

Bree
Brees Bowtique
http://breesbowtique.blogspot.com/

Ladybird Ln said...

Oh wow, I just love it! SO cute, and terrific instructions!

Carlee,
www.ladybirdln.com

Pamela said...

I have a sweater just calling for a flower. I've looked everywhere and haven't found one. Can't wait to try this out.

New GFC follower from Marvelously Messy.

Blessings,
Pamela

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

Your flowers are lovely!

Thanks for linking to Creative Juice. Hope to see you back again this week...

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!
What size ribbon did you use?

Helen @ Blue Eyed Beauty Blog said...

This is so beautiful and looks much easier than I expected! I am adding it to my list of flowers I need to make soon!

Helen
Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

Ink Blot Mom said...

These are gorgeous!! Thank you so much for sharing!!