Thursday, April 14, 2011

Old Frame to Simple Bow Holder

I've been seeing bow holder ideas online a lot and I've been wanting to make one for Andrea's bows and clips. I like the ones made from frames... but I didn't have a frame. Or I thought I didn't... until I remembered this:

We used to have 2 fruit bowl paintings hanging on the wall in our dining area a while back. I think these were popular back in the 80's. I remember seeing fruit paintings in the walls of some of my friends' houses back then. The 2 we have were already in my husband's house before I moved in, but we took it down when we had the downstairs area repainted a few years ago. Since I put a cabinet against the wall where these used to hang, we never got to put them back and they lay hidden in our storage area, forgotten... until I had the dire need to make a bow holder and started hunting around for a frame.

I removed the painting from the frame (and kept them... they aren't really my style but you never know when I might decide to decorate my kitchen and those fruit paintings might come in handy) and spray painted one white and one black. I decided to use the white one for my bow holder.
I glued satin ribbons across the frame, in a woven pattern, to hold the bows. It's a little small,  I would have preferred a bigger frame to  hold more bows... but I don't like spending much on decor so I work with what I have.

Since I don't have much surface area in my bow holder to hold all of Andrea's bows, I just took the bigger ones and clipped them to the satin ribbons:
Pretty! I hung the frame next to the mirror in Andrea's 'future' room/currently my craft room. I noticed the dominance of pink... I need to make Andrea bows in other colors.

I am linking up to the following link parties:
Commercial Break Thursday at Suzy's Artsy Craftsy Sitcom | Finished on the 15th at Favecrafts | Weekend Wrap-up Party at Tatertots and Jello | Not Baaaad Sunday at Lamb Around | Free for All at Young and Crafty | Sew Crafty Saturday at Wildflowers and Whimsy | Think Pink Sundays at Flamingo Toes | K.I.S.S. at The Tattered Tag | Sundae Scoop at I Heart Naptime | Sunday Showcase Party at Under the Table and Dreaming | CraftOManiac Monday at CraftOManiac | Just Somethig I Whipped Up at The Girl Creative | Making Monday Marvelous at C.R.A.F.T. | Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do | Motivate Me Monday at Keeping It Simple | A Round Tuit at Creating My Way to Success | Inspire Me Monday at Singing Three Little Birds | Make It For Less Monday at Simply Cadence | Market Yourself Monday at Sumo's Sweet Stuff | Made By You Monday at Skip to My Lou | Craft Couture Monday at Craft Couture | Take a Look Tuesday at Sugar Bee Crafts | Handmade Tuesdays at Ladybug Blessings | Show Me What Ya Got at Not JUST a Housewife | Tuesday Party at Running with Glitter | Get Your Craft On at Today's Creative Blog | Tuesday To-do Party at The Blackberry Vine | Manic Monday at Sew Happy Geek

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's such a cute idea-I hadn't seen a bow holder like that before!

www.shopsonsale.wordpress.com said...

love your blog! i'll be linking this in my FB ok? thanks!

The Single Nester said...

What a great idea! I love old frames! So many uses!

Elle Belles Bows said...

Oh my goodness! I love this idea! I am definitely going to use it!! I found you through one art momma!

Kerri

Anonymous said...

this is so a cute idea!! I have never seen something like this!! :)

An Oasis in the Desert said...

Adorable idea!

April said...

Cute idea! Thanks for linking up to my Sew Crafty Party !

Amanda said...

This is so cute. It would actually make a great piece of art to display!

LrSchwtz said...

This is a great idea! I'd love for you to share this at my Share the Wealth Wednesday Link Party over at www.laughloveandcraft.com

Jill said...

Great idea - and it would look so pretty hanging in a girl's room!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Libby said...

This is a great idea. I have seen where people leave ribbons hanging down from the frame, but I'd never actually seen one with the ribbon inside the frame. Love it!

SewHappyGeek said...

Hey, I featured your bow holder today! Feature Friday

Miss Charming said...

It doesn't look like a bow holder--it looks like a piece of art! What a beautiful job! I really like the colors and textures.

Unknown said...

Hi, I just landed here from the Lamb Around Blog Hop. I'm a brand new follower.

This is sooo pretty. I love the ribbon idea.

My blog is about art, photography, crafts, quotes and inspiration. I'd love for you to drop by and say hello.
Bella Vida by Letty
Have a great weekend.