Tuesday, December 14, 2010

3-Fold Felt Kiddie Wallet

This project came about out of need. Andrea likes playing with my purse... and my wallet. She would pull out my cards, money, photos and generally scatter the contents of my wallet around her. I got the idea to make Andrea her own wallet last night while thinking of her as I was working on another shirt project which was taking forever. I stopped working on the shirt and started making the wallet since I figured it won't take me long to finish.
3-fold kiddie wallet
Then I placed it beside her pillow before I slept so she can find it when she woke up. And found it she did!

Andi checking out the contents of her new wallet.
 It's very easy to do! Here's how...

You will need:
  • Felt in different colors (for a colorful wallet, I used 3 colors for mine)
  • sewing machine (or needle and thread)
  • Velcro
  • Buttons, ribbons, fabric flowers... anything you want to use to decorate your wallet.
Step 1: Measure the size of your paper money and credit cards to see how long and wide your wallet needs to be. See illustration below to see how I measured mine.

Length of section A is equal to the length of the paper money plus 3/4 inch allowance to the left and right. Section B is roughly 1/3 the length of section A (this requires a little Math, sorry!)

Width of both sections is equal to the length of your credit card plus 3/4 inch allowance at the top and at the bottom.
Step 2: Cut a piece of felt equal to the size of Section A + Section B. This will just be one piece of felt.

Step 3: Cut another piece of felt in another color equal to the size of Section A.

Step 4. Cut smaller pieces of felt to be used as inside pockets. You decide how many pockets you want and what kind of pockets they have to be. I decided to put in 2 pockets for cards on mine, and a pocket to display photos.

Step 5. Sew the pockets on to piece of felt you cut from Step 3. Note that this piece will soon be folded in half so make sure you leave room at the center for the fold. Here's a simple diagram of how mine looks like with the pockets:


Step 6. Next, sew the piece you cut from Step 1 to the piece with the pockets. Sew on 3 sides only, see diagram below. Sew along the dotted lines. Leave the top open. This will be opening for the bills.


Step 7: Decorate! I was too tired last night because it was late so I only sewed in a button at the flap. I'll make a more fabulous one next time

Step 8. Attach the Velcro.

And you are done! Then I cut a picture of her to put on the photo pocket. And cut out little cards and "play money" (colorful pieces of paper from a toy catalog we got at the mall).

here it is again
Wallet, inside


Look, she has a 'Boots' credit card!
I linked up here:

4 comments:

Jenn Ji Hyun said...

This will be a great project for my own little girls =) thanks for sharing...

May I ask where you bought your felt materials? =)

Thanks again! You are sooo creative I can't stop seeing the rest of your posts!

happinay said...

Wow, this is so inspiring! Like Jenn, I'd also like to know where you bought the materials for this? Thanks much! :)

Janelle said...

Hello ladies!

The felt, you can get from SM (Notions section) or Carolina's. If you will try SM, sometimes they have great color collections... most of the times they don't. So everytime I see a color I don't have yet, I just buy it anyway :)

Ana Love Craft said...

Hi Janelle,
SO LOVELY!!!Thanks for sharing tutorial!You have a fantastic blog.
I'd love for you to visit my blog.

Hugs from Portugal,

Ana Love Craft
www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com