Thursday, June 18, 2009

Tales of the Bored - Day 17

The quest to become the most boring person within my zip code... in 32 days or less!

June 15, 2009 (Monday)

Start of another boring week... hooray for Mondays!! (And to top it off, it's raining again).

One thing I'm thankful for, I missed going to work on a lot of rainy days. I hate going out during rainy days. You get your shoes wet, the edges of your jeans wet... and if there's wind, even your bag and your hair get wet.

Anyway... I was scheduled for a glucose test today so I went to the hospital with my husband this morning. I expected it to be similar to the one I had before... where they make you take this sickeningly sweet orange liquid and wait for an hour before they take your blood. This time thought, my doctor advised me to fast for at least 8 hours before going to lab. She forgot to mention that I am not supposed to take medicines before as well.

I got the laboratory, took a number and waited. When it was my turn, the nurse told me how the test was supposed to go... I am to take the orange liquid, and then they will take my blood 4 times at 1 hour intervals. Wow... no one told me it was supposed to take that long! And I can't eat or drink anything during that period! I was asked if I ate anything and I told them no... she didn't ask about any medication I was taking so I assumed it was unimportant. I filled out some forms and waited for my name to be called. I decided to let my husband go to work since there was no need for us to be bored out of our heads while waiting for the lab test to end. I told him I'd call him when it's over so he can come get me.

A few minutes after my husband left, my name was called and as I was being prepared for the needle, the med tech asked again re my food intake. I decided to tell her about the medicine I took that morning just to be sure. That was not ok. She asked me to return the following day for the test. So I wasted my entire morning going to the hospital and waiting and going hungry for nothing.

I spent the day at my mom's house, surfing the internet. My husband picked me up after work and as we approached our house, I noticed that the lights at the garage were not turned on. In fact, there seems to be no light at all inside the house. I worried a little but as I opened the main door, my housekeeper greeted me and told me that the lights went off earlier that morning around 11AM. She heard something explode outside before the lights went off and that she noticed that only our house was affected.

And of course, she waited until we got home to tell us.

Though we don't allow our housekeeper to leave the house when we're not home (for security reasons), we left a key with instructions to use it in case of emergencies. She told me she couldn't text me because her prepaid phone has no load. I told her she could have gone out and loaded her phone so she could call me (as I instructed her to do before) and I would reimburse her. Apparently, she didn't consider this an emergency.

I called Meralco and they were able to send a crew to look into the matter. The explosion my housekeeper heard earlier was our circuit breaker and we need to replace it. It was outside Meralco's responsibility. My husband tried to find a circuit breaker that night while I called my uncle to ask if he knows an electrician we could call at that late hour. It was an unsuccessful effort so we spent the night in darkness... without TV or electric fan.

Some days... it's just not your day.

No comments: