Monday, December 19, 2011

First attempt at a Diaper Cake

We organized a surprise baby shower for one of my friends (who was my maid of honor at my wedding) last Sunday. I volunteered to make the diaper cake because I have always wanted to try making one after I saw one for the first time at my sister's baby shower. 

I looked for inspiration online and it looked simple enough... but I had no idea rolling each and every diaper is so boring tedious!


We didn't have a party theme but we know she's having a boy so our main motiff was light blue. I used light blue and white ribbon to secure each tier. Then I printed baby animals on white card stock, cut each of them out, and glued them to the ribbon around the cake. I didn't have a cake topper so I printed a card that says "See you soon, TJ!" and stuck it on top of the cake. 

Quick.

Simple.

Not bad!

I also took care of the souvenirs.


I buy my baby wipes in bulk so I still had a lot at home. I printed smaller cards like the one I used to top the cake, taped it to the pack, and tied the entire package with a light blue satin ribbon.

Quick.

Simple.

I wish I had more time to DIY the decor but one of my friends was kind enough to take care of that.

Hope you all had a great weekend! It's 1 more week before Christmas! Are you excited? :)

4 comments:

Diane Writes said...

It was a successful first attempt Janelle! Galing :) and i love the idea of having baby wipes as souvenirs.. Useful and consistent sa theme :)

Jill said...

Great cake Janelle! I can imagine how long it must have taken to roll all those nappies!

I hope you and yours have a wonderful Christmas and a very happy New Year!

Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

PC said...

Just want to email you and wondering what you have been up to..Now I know! Great project! Merry Christmas dear friend! Love PC

ediapercake said...

That is pretty amazing for your first attempt for your diaper cake. It took me a while to get good at making them.