Thursday, May 19, 2011

All Things Pink: Shoes, Clip, and Bird's Nest Necklace

I had a post for today drafted last Monday and ready for posting but I decided to scrap it and write another one to add a few things. From my blog title, you would guess that I love pink. I do! But for some reason, I don't wear a lot of pink. Yesterday... I decided to pass by the mall before going home. And guess what I found??? The perfect pair of pale pink peep-toes!

I haven't worn high heels since I got pregnant in 2009. And after that... high heels are just crazy high! What's with the 4? 5? 6? inch heels anyway? Do shoe designers have a thing against walking? Anyway, I love peep-toes and the heels on this baby are only are only about 3-inches high. They're quite comfortable too.

And when you find a good thing, you know what you should do? Buy it in every color available!
Nope, I didn't wear it like this :) Just showing you the other color.
The lady at the store said this also came in black... only when they checked, they don't have it my size anymore :( If I have these shoes in black, silver, gold and red... I can live in them forever! And I would probably buy 2 pairs of every color so I'd have a spare. These are totally my style!

I wanted to wear the pink one today. I decided to whip up a hair clip real quick before I left for work to match my pink shoes.
I saw something like this at Papemelroti and have been considering just buying one from them since they weren't expensive... but I think about all those ribbons, glue stick and clips I have at home and what the heck. Let's make life a little harder and just make one, right? I still just might buy other colors from them later. I really like this clip. It goes so well with my wavy hair.

And the last thing on my plate today... I'm also wearing it in the photo above... the bird's nest necklace. I've been seeing a lot of these on other blogs but wasn't really thinking I was going to make one. But... I've been following Amy at One Artsy Mama for a couple of months now and she recently discovered the joys of jewelry making. I remember, when I first started, it was addicting. But through time, and since I am concentrating more on learning how to sew, my interest waned. But reading Amy's posts... her enthusiasm is viral! You can't help but catch it. She made this pretty bird's nest on her first attempt at making jewelry:
Pretty isn't it?
And since then, I've been thinking of giving it a try. So I looked for tutorials online and found one I liked at Can't Stop Making Things. Last Monday, before I left for work, I decided to try it and here's what I have:

You know how some people say "This looks better in person" about some thing in photos? Well, this is just the opposite. I can honestly say that my bird's nest looks much better in the photo! ;) You can't see it from the photo but the nest is just a little lopsided. I only put one 'egg' in the nest for the one pretty little egg in my nest: Andrea. the nest looks a tad empty after I was done but since I wired the egg in there, it was a little difficult to add more. So one egg it is.

I want to make one for my sister too so we'll see if I get any better at it. If you're not into DIY or do not have the patience for it (because trust me, this requires patience with a capital 'P'), Amy set up an Etsy shop where she sells these pretty nests. I think she also customizes the color and number of eggs you want. She even made these into earrings and rings.

I am linking up to the following link parties:
Link Party at Tea Rose Home | Sugar & Spice at Seven Thirty Three | Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts | Hoo's got Talent at Night Owl Crafting | Strut Your Stuff at Somewhat Simple | Creative Juice Thursday at Momnivore's Dilemma | Get Your Brag On at Gluesticks | Thrilling Thursday at Paisley Passions | A Glimpse Inside at Catch a Glimpse | A Crafty Soiree at Katie's Nesting Spot | Commercial Break Thursday at Suzy's Artsy Craftsy Sitcom | Feature Yourself Friday at Fingerprints on the Fridge | Friday Favorites at Inspiring Creations | Saturday is Crafty Day at I Am Along For The Ride | Free for All at Young and Crafty | Think Pink Sundays at Flamingo Toes | K.I.S.S at The Tattered Tag | Sundae Scoop at I Heart Naptime | Sunday Showcase Party at Under The Table and Dreaming | Not Baaad Sundays at Lamb Around | CraftOManiac Monday at CraftOManiac | Just Something I Whipped Up at The Girl Creative | Making Mondays Marvelous at C.R.A.F.T. | Motivate Me Monday at Keeping It Simple | A Round Tuit at Creating My Way to Success | Inspire Me Monday at Singing Three Little Birds | Market Yourself Monday at Sumo's Sweet Stuff | Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do | Take-a-Look Tuesday at Sugar Bee Crafts | Handmade Tuesdays at Lady Bug Blessings | Tuesday To Do Party at Blackberry Vine | Show Me What Ya Got at Not JUST a Housewife | Tuesday Party at Running with Glitter | Get Your Craft On at Today's Creative Blog |

14 comments:

lisbonlioness said...

I think yours looks a lot more like a real nest than the pendant Amy made. Don't get me wrong, hers is dang beautiful, but I don't think a bird straightens out the little twigs and applies a spirit level to figure out wether its new home is a bit lopsided! Nah, yours is pretty just the way it is, I love it!

PC said...

Definitely copy yours...love it especially the hanging gem! But may be I'll make it into a key chain....

Diane Writes said...

Hello Janelle! I love that egg and nest necklace! Are you planning to make more? I am willing to purchase one. Seryoso. Ang unique at cute.

Jenn @ Frugal Upstate said...

I love the birds nest! I have to go check out that tutorial RIGHT. NOW.

Janelle said...

Thanks you all! I actually like Amy's nest because of all the clean lines... I like clean lines :) I tried to make one this morning again and the results were: trashcan = 1, Janelle = 1. I had to totally scrap one because it was just too messy and obviously lopsided :-/

Celeste said...

I think yours is adorable--and, like lisbonlioness said, real nests are messy, and therein lies the beauty. :)

Anonymous said...

Ahh I've been looking for pink shoes like these for my sister's wedding. Where did you get them?

Janelle said...

@anonymous: They're from Payless :) Here's the link to the item online:

http://www.payless.com/store/product/detail.jsp?catId=cat10088&subCatId=cat10270&skuId=084486050&productId=68663&lotId=084486&category=&catdisplayName=Womens

Unknown said...

I think it looks great, Janelle! I like all the wire working you did, and I think the one little egg is cute. I couldn't get just one to look right, so I put 3 in anyway, even though I only have Noah. The gem is nice too!

Jill said...

Great nest necklace! love that the egg is a little 'lopsided' - makes it look more 'real'!! Love the peep toe shoes too!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Ashley said...

love it. the hanging gem is beautiful touch

Daune | Cottage in the Oaks said...

Love this necklace! Wonderful.....

Sumo @ Sumo's Sweet Stuff said...

I'll be featuring this on my blog on Saturday!

http://sumossweetstuff.blogspot.com

Thanks for linking up!

Sumo:)

Leoni said...

I personally love you lonely lopsided nest, it is different from the ones around. I have been making these nests too and I haven't been able to do earrings yet as every one I make is different. LOL
Power to the creatives!
cheers