Friday, April 8, 2011

Featured on The Tattered Tag and finding a use for old jars

Before I start on my project today, I would like to thank Christina of The Tattered Tag for featuring me as the "New Neighbor on the Blog". I got to know The Tattered Tag for it's amazing K.I.S.S. Blog Bash where I link up every Sunday. Make sure you check it out. Great ideas linked up there. 

Christina also posts cute projects like her most recent Whimsical Gift Jars.There are other great projects there but this one caught my attention, not only because it was the most recent, but because when I visited today, I was in the middle of writing this post. You see... I also have jars lined up for my post today. 

So today will be all about jars :)

I've been on a craft supply/decor shopping spree for the past few weeks. The nearby mall I frequent is on a month long sale on their home section. Anyway, the choices are limited since they are probably just getting rid of old stock (can't wait to go there next month to see what new items they have!). I was looking for white vases or something I can use as egg holders. They only had around 5 pure white vases left and they are not the shape I needed them to be.

I've seen a lot of spray-painted vase projects online so I decided to conquer my fear or spray paint and bought one in white. Then I looked around our house for some junk empty jars and found these:

  • An empty Crumpy jar (I included the jar of Crumpy for uh... reference?)
  • An old tea cup (from a set where the cover of the teapot broke a long time ago)
I know Nutella is the more popular brand and the first time I bought Crumpy was actually by mistake, I grabbed a jar without looking thinking it was Nutella. Turned out I like it too... not too sweet. Anyway, I love Crumpy's empty jars because the edges are smooth so they are like drinking glasses.

I spray painted the teacup white, and then turned it upside down and glued the empty Crumpy jar.

The finished product turned out not the right shape to be an egg holder... but I like it anyway. Still... I needed egg holders so I looked through my shelves again and I found my last empty Gerber bottle! I used the others for my pin cushion projects a while back and I already forgot I had one more.

And then I found a smaller jar. Someone gave me this Burt's Bees Radiance Kit last Christmas. The pack contains 2 small jars:
I was only able to keep 1 though, I guess I must have thrown the other one away.

I also spray-painted both jars white... and then added trim around the opening to hide the ribbing.

Notice the green egg? If you like it, you can click here to see the tutorial and other designs.
And I have my egg holders :) I added a pewter charm to the smaller one.

And here they are all together:

It's Friday in my part of the world everyone!!! A few more hours and it's the weekend for me! Woo-hoo!!! Hope you all have a great weekend! :)

I am linking up to the following link parties:
Weekend Wrap-up Party at Tatertots and Jello | Free for All at Young and Crafty | Strut Your Stuff at Saturday Mornings | Think Pink Sundays at Flamingo Toes | K.I.S.S. at the Tattered Tag | Sundae Scoop at I Heart Naptime | CraftOManiac Monday at CraftOManiac | Just Something I Whipped Up at The Girl Creative | Making Monday Marvelous at C.R.A.F.T. | Feature Yourself Friday at Fingerprints on the Fridge | DIY Project Parade at The DIY Showoff | Market Yourself Monday at Sumo's Sweet Stuff | Craft Couture Monday at Craft Couture | Made By You Monday at Skip To My Lou | Made With Love Monday at Sew Chatty | Make it For Less Monday at Simply Cadence | Inspire Me Monday at Singing Three Little Birds | Tuesday Party at Running with Glitter | Get Your Craft On at Today's Creative Blog | Not Baaaad Sunday at Lamb Around |

4 comments:

emilysnan said...

hiya janelle , these jars are so cute, i love them in white and they look great wiht the eggs in yur little vignette . i have the same addiction ..i cannot throw anything away especially jars , check out my blog and see what i did with some jars last week , came visiting form the tattered tag and am your newest follower ,tfs
xmaggiex

emilysnan said...

hiya janelle , these jars are so cute, i love them in white and they look great wiht the eggs in yur little vignette . i have the same addiction ..i cannot throw anything away especially jars , check out my blog and see what i did with some jars last week , came visiting form the tattered tag and am your newest follower ,tfs
xmaggiex

An Oasis in the Desert said...

Very cute ideas! Happy weekend!
CAS

Jill said...

They are neat little egg holders!
Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/