Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Anthro-Inspired Necklace: Winter Sparks

I've been reading a lot about Anthropologie-inspired items from several blogs the past 2 weeks. That got me curious about what Anthropologie is (no Anthropologie stores in my part of the world and I just realized how sad that is) so I browsed around their website. They do have a lot of nice stuff! I looked at a few necklaces for ideas and here's what I came up with last night:

My version of the necklace, 12/06/2010
This Winter Sparks necklace from Anthropologie was my inspiration:
Anthropologie: Winter Sparks $48
I couldn't copy the design exactly, I didn't have the exact materials on hand last night. So I only copied the basic elements combination of brass, clear crystal and pearls. Here's what I had on hand:


From left to right: Brass-toned ring I got for P42 (less than $1) at Quiapo (price tag is still attached, see?), pearl necklace with brass pendant I made last year, brass rose pendant I got in NY 2 years ago which broke but I couldn't throw it away because I think it's so pretty!
This necklace took me around 15 minutes to make and the hardest part was prying the brass flower from the ring. Note to self, next time, just look for brooches or pendants. I must admit, I totally forgot about the clear Swarovski crystals on both sides of the brass flowers while I was making mine. Anyhow, I like how it turned out. Here's a closer look:


I wore it with a black tunic top to work today.


And no, my hair is not messy... it looks that way all the time because it's wavy and I gave up trying to keep it neat. I have a couple more inspired designs I want to work on. Hopefully, I can finish them and post everything before I have to leave for vacation for Christmas.

This project is linked up to the following link parties:
CraftOManiac Monday at CraftOManiac | Lovely Crafty Weekend at Lovely Crafty Home | Strut Your Stuff at Saturday Mornings  | Making Monday Marvelous at C.R.A.F.T  | Just Something I Whipped Up at The Girl Creative  | Made by You Mondays at Skip to my Lou  | Market Yourself Monday at Sumo's Sweet Stuff | Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do | Take a Look Tuesday at Sugar Bee Craft Edition | Handmade Tuesdays at Ladybug Blessings | Get Your Craft On at Today's Creative Blog | Show Me What Ya Got at Not JUST a Housewife | Show & Tell at Blue Cricket Design  | We Did It! Wednesday at Sew Much Ado  | Wednesday Link Party at Tea Rose Home | Strut Your Stuff Thursday at Somewhat Simple  | Keep it Simple Sunday at The Tattered Tag | Sunday Scoop at I ♥ Naptime   | Free for All at Young and Crafty | Think Pink Sundays at Flamingo Toes | Sew Crafty Saturday at Wildflowers and Whimsy | Made with Love Monday at Sew Chatty |

11 comments:

Fonda @Southern Scraps said...

Love your version of the necklace.

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

Gorgeous! I love it. I want to make one of these! I need to find some of those cute flower components.

PS- I'm doing my first ever giveaway on my blog and I'd love for you to come enter! http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/02/my-first-giveaway-and-introducing-your.html

By the Bluegrass said...

This looks fabulous! I like it better than Anthropology's!
seriously.
xo,
Sena

Shawna Bates said...

I have been just like you with my curiosity.
I am on the fence with the jewlery..I like looking at for the vintage sorta feel to it....I LOVE seeing it on people that can wear it well (like you!) because then it looks so great..but on myself I don't think I could pull it off..Im going to have to keep browsing blogs and looking at everyone's art because it's slowly growing on me. YOu did a FANTASTIC job with your necklace! You might not have had all the elements but you still pulled it of and pulled it off well!
Shawna

Janelle said...

Thanks so much for the wonderful comments! I was a little unsure about sharing this on the link parties because I didn't think it looked a lot like the original. That's why it took a long time for me to get the guts to share it (posted in December... shared in February). I've seen a lot of Anthro knock-offs on other blogs that look exactly like the original. So cool!

Lisa Brown said...

Love the necklace...beautiful!

Unknown said...

Beautiful & inspiring! Your creation is lovely. Thank you for sharing your great project by linking up to my blog bash K.I.S.S. @ The Tattered Tag. Please remember tomorrow is another fun blog bash, so drop by and link up more of your creativity! Happy to be a new follower too. :)

Drop by The Tattered Tag

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

This is so pretty! I think you did a great knockoff!
Thanks so much for linking up to Think Pink Sundays!!

April said...

Thanks for linking this up! I featured you today. come grab a button if you like...

http://wildflowersandwhimsy.blogspot.com/2011/03/sew-crafty-saturday-wfeatures-winner.html

Kristen said...

Thank you for showing up the inspiration piece and your version. Your pieces are beautiful and inspiring!

emilysnan said...

hiya janelle , your creation is beautiful and i lov it , thanks for stopping by mine too and for the warm welcome back x
see you soon
xmaggiex