Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Panic buying?

As I mentioned in a previous post, my household was one of those fortunate to escape the devastation wrought by the typhoon last weekend. Though oblivious to the rampaging waters of Katipunan at the time, I was too busy to think about grocery shopping last Saturday. Then by Sunday, I already knew what happened but hubby was out helping a friend (hence, no one to carry my grocery bags), and I needed to go to the mall to buy a few things I need for my hospital bag.

Come Monday and I was ready to go to work. I didn't have an excuse not to go... my house was not affected and I won't be passing any flooded area. When I got home yesterday afternoon, I decided that we can't survive with the dwindling supplies we have at home so I went to the grocery store with my housekeeper.

There were no available baskets or carts!

I was surprised... even during the Christmas season, that grocery store NEVER ran out of carts. I noticed the long lines at the check out counter and most of the people had huge boxes of biscuits, noodles, canned goods and their carts were literally overflowing. As I was standing there staring, a grocery attendant wheeled a small kiddie cart and asked me if I wanted it. Oh... might as well. At least we won't have to carry our purchases on our arms.

To my further surprise... the chicken counter was empty... EMPTY! There were literally no cans of sardines left. There was no Spam. The vegetables left on the shelves looks wilted (I needed to buy celery). The noodle section was half empty and emptying quickly as I watched. The fish section was also empty. The meat section was not really empty but it was obvious that the best cuts were no longer available. In other words, there was nothing much to buy.

Looking at the people around me, I was wondering if I should go on panic-buying mode and just grab anything I could. But these weren't clothes or shoes... so I wasn't really that enthusiastic. We were used to buying certain brands of food when we get our groceries because we know we like them. I didn't want to just get anything and then later find out that no one at home wants them. I knew there was the possibility of another typhoon coming on Thursday. Maybe that's why people are stocking up (or maybe they are donating to relief operations). I ended up buying cookies, junk food, 2 packs of noodles that I was willing to try, a coupled of canned goods (literally a couple... meaning 2 cans), juice and ingredients for Lumpiang Shanghai (that was all I could find that I knew I can eat)... in other words, nothing much.

Worried that the same thing might happen again if the storm does hit, my husband kept nagging me. So tonight, we are going to try a bigger grocery store. I'm hoping to get 2 gallons of water at least (oh, the grocery I went to last night was out of bottled as well).

No comments: