Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Regrets are always too late

I should have placed a bet on the Pacquiao vs. Hatton fight last weekend!

I've been thinking about placing a bet for Manny Pacquiao since his fight with Diaz. I remember I was listening to a radio program at the time and they were discussing odds and bets and the newscaster mentioned that minimum bet was $100. I was so confident Pacquiao would win so I didn't think much about the $100 price tag as I was considering the idea.

However, I had a few misgivings about the entire thing:
1. I know, we are in a crisis and yes, I know I can put that $100 into better use.
2. I do know that sports betting is not as simple as betting who will win or lose. It's a lot more complicated than that.
3. Since I don't know much about sports betting, $100 seems a steep price (for me at least) to pay to learn by experience (in case I lose).
4. I was raised believing that betting (or any form of gambling for that matter) is wrong.

So back then, I did not place a bet for the Pacquiao-Diaz fight.

I wasn't really that interested in the Pacquiao-De la Hoya fight for some reason. I don't know why but I don't even think I watched it on TV.

Anyway, then came the Pacquiao-Hatton fight. This really interested me because by chance, I once saw a Hatton fight on TV before. At the time, I didn't know who he was and I don't even remember who he was fighting but I was left with the impression that Hatton is a strong fighter and that made me remember his name. So when his fight with Pacquiao came up, I thought about betting again.

I kept mentioning it to a few of my friends and my husband but no one really encouraged me to go for it (all I was waiting for was someone to push me!). So again, I did not place a bet.

And Pacquiao won... again!

No comments: