Thursday, March 19, 2009

Remember Nicole?

The alleged victim of the Subic Rape Case that was so controversial a while back?


Alleged because I think most of us, who did not really believe she was raped in the first place, have more doubts now. Hell, she's not even sure herself given her most recent affidavit.

If you have been watching the news, then you'd know by now that she already lives in the US, "for good", according to her mother, with a P100,000 pocket money (not much, really, about $2000 US). In her most recent affidavit, she recanted the story that she was raped by US servicemen in Subic in 2005 when she was still a minor.

From her statement dated March 12, 2009:

"I expect my sectors to question my motives in executing this statement more than three years after the incident.

"However, as I practically grew up interacting with American servicemen in Zamboanga City who treated me and my family very well, and thinking over and over again how I may have conducted myself at the Neptune Club, I can’t help but entertain doubts on whether the sequence of events in Subic last November of 2005 really occurred the way the court found them to have happened."

(source: http://www.bworldonline.com/BW031809/content.php?id=071)

The court found them to have happened that way because you said they happened that way remember? You and the screaming many. And you were hailed courageous, made a symbol of the fight of women against adversity... and a man was found guilty.

And now you say you don't really remember and people are wondering why. Those who supported you before, though they express disappointment with your decision, still believe you to be the victim. The victim of government coercion to maintain international relations with the US. I wonder... do they really believe that, or are they just saying that to save face after putting their complete trust in the girl who might have cried "wolf!"?

No comments: