Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My Country 'Tis of Thee'

Earlier this morning, like millions probably did, I stayed up late to watch Obama be inaugurated as the 44th President of the US. He was sworn in a little past 1AM, Philippine time.

I won't go into the inauguration details. I was too sleepy to remember everything. But what I do remember, because it really caught and held my attention, was Aretha Franklin's song number.



I won't even go into the big bow on her head... let's just focus on the song number.

She sang My Country 'Tis of Thee'. The entire time she was singing, I was imagining her auditioning for American Idol. Close your eyes, and imagine for a while that she is not Aretha Franklin, Queen of Soul. It was like listening to a bad audition... the kind where you see pain or shock etched on the faces of the judges.

No comments: